No-code data processing solves retailer’s challenges with complex point of sale data
10 million point of sale transactions processed easily
More frequent reporting insights – from weekly to daily
40K users with improved customer experience
A leading North American broadline retailer had the skilled resources in place to manage their own sales performance management operations, but struggled with the transaction volume and complexity of their point of sale (POS) data. Their 50-year-old legacy sales operations system was outdated and couldn’t integrate completely with their in-store POS system. Handling this level of data intricacy and volume would require a change: SKU-level processing meant that they were expecting upwards of 10,000,000 records per day from Black Friday through the holiday season.
Their 40,000 associates were selling tens of thousands of products across the country, but it wasn’t just a wide product offering that posed a problem. Commission rates varied per product based on product bundles or promotions, so they needed a level of flexibility and customization that their old system simply couldn’t handle.
The retailer ran into obstacles when trying to implement strategic changes in their sales strategy, due to the challenges they faced with their dated and inflexible software.
- They were unable to set commission rates that varied by product, due to the lack of configurability in their system and its slow processing speed;
- They were unable to automatically adjust commission rates to account for bundled products and mark-downs because they couldn’t accurately link associated products or their discounts in their data processing;
- They had no way to automate dispute submission, review, and approval;
- Sales associates were unable to view the role-based, item-level commission rates that were meant to drive their sales behaviors; and
- The processing cycle was unacceptably slow, with results generated only once per week.
Using the Optymyze unified, no-code platform for data processing and application development, the retailer resolved all of its core challenges.
Using the Optymyze unified, no-code platform for data processing and application development, the retailer resolved all of its core challenges and completed the implementation in industry-leading time:
- Data integration direct from in-store POS systems to Optymyze enabled quicker processing and fewer “data massaging” steps between transaction-level data to commission statements;
- Dynamic commission rate assignments based on life cycle and markdowns, made possible by increased processing speed and scalability, are helping to create significant financial benefits;
- Special bundle and add-on commission rates are now a reality, thanks to an open data model that supports POS systems and the association of transactions based on proximity and other attributes;
- In-store access to Optymyze gave associates access to their personalized commission rates as well as transaction disputes saving time and increasing transparency; and
- The dispute resolution process was fully automated, featuring an analyst summary of all associated transactions.